Proverbs 31.org

P31 OBS Blog Hop

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sad times in Education

You know you hear how bad the economy is but when it strikes home then you really realize how bad it is.  I was on my way outside with my children to play.  It was nearly the end of the day.  I came back in to find my assistant clearly upset.  While I was outside with the children she got a call to come to the office.  As she entered the room, there was our principal and personnel director.  Now, you know your heart skips a beat when you see them sitting together.  They proceeded to tell her that she would not have a job next year.  This being done because of the budget.  Then they gave her an official letter.  We were both devasted.  I had to rush off to a class I am taking so all I could do was give her hug and cry with her.  They cut several assistants but not all.  Kindergarten has always had an assistant per teacher.  She's only been with me for 2 years.  She's wonderful!  As I went to my class which was at Central Office I had to walk right by the superintendents office.  A part of me felt like walking in and telling him how I was feeling.  There was this little voice that showed up and said "Don't do that Vicki".  The 24 years I have taught I have never been in his office but I so wanted to go!!!  I couldn't hardly concentrate in my class.  I went to dinner with some fellow teachers afterwards.  There was another one at dinner that had lost hers too.  The other two had not lost theirs.  Questions were flying..."What are we going to do"?"How are we going to do the reading program?""Who is going to get our babies of the bus and bring them to our room the first week of school? "Who else are they cutting?' I guess we will get the answers sooner or later.  Some of the ones they kept are the ones who need to be leaving.  I am guessing they are going by the years they have in.  Unfortunately, mine only had 3 years in.  I don't quite have enough in to retire!! So my prayers are with my good friend and the others who were told they would not be back for the 2010/2011 school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment